Crazy Week
What did the fish say to the net?
I can see right through you!
Hehe, I'm loving my new string cheese. Each stick has a joke on it. This was one of the better ones, in my opinion.
I'm having a bit of a roller coaster week. I was missing one of my friends who was away most of last week and the weekend at a music festival. He's back now, but we haven't really talked yet. I have a feeling I'm going to be talking to him a lot less in general, which makes me sad, but I understand. Monday I took my second Stats test, and I came out of it convinced I failed, or at least got a D. This stressed me out to no end, because I have to get a minimum of a C for this class to transfer back to Messiah. I found out yesterday that I managed an 83, which is a B-. I can deal with that! I was really happy, and had more self-confidence after that. Chris telling me how proud he is of me for working so hard helped too, I'm sure. I slept a sound 9 hours last night, which also makes me a very happy girl. I got yelled at today by my boss for not faxing my time sheet/travel log in by 12 today. The thing is, I faxed it at like 4:45 YESTERDAY. (I'm never early with my paperwork, go me!!) Surprisingly, it somehow got lost, and I get yelled at. It's the way things work around here, at the Community Action Commission.
Speaking of, today is a "crisis" day at work. I have gotten so many phone calls, it's unreal. This is a sample of what I dealt with today.
Phone Call # 1
Molly: Community Action Commission, this is Molly.
Woman: Hello, yes, I was calling about getting some help with my electric bill.
Molly: Sure. Can you give me some more information?
Woman: What you mean?
Molly: Do you live in Shippensburg? Are you working? Do you have children? Is your bill overdue?
Woman: No, I don't have a job. I rent a two bedroom apartment with my boyfriend. I have five children. I got a letter that says my electric is going to be shut off tomorrow, and I don't know how I'm gonna feed my children.
Molly: Ok, so you have a shutoff notice for tomorrow. When did you get this notice?
Woman: Two weeks ago.
Molly: Ok. Well. Have you made any payments on it since then, or have you contacted the company to tell them your situation?
Woman: No.
Ok...well. Guess what? If you had called me TWO WEEKS ago, I might have been able to help you.
Phone Call #2
Molly: Community Action Commission, this is Molly.
Woman: Hi, do you all help people having babies?
Molly: What do you mean?
Woman: Babies. Do you help people with them?
Molly: ...Are you asking if we help pregnant women?
Woman: Yes!
Molly: Oh, well, this agency doesn't have any financial assistance, if that's what you mean, but I could connect you with agencies in the area....Dial tone....
I was actually trying to help this lady. If only for the sake of the kid. We don't give out cash. That makes us useless to many people.
Phone call #3
Molly: Community Action Commission, this is Molly.
Man: Hi, do you help people find houses?
Molly: Yes we do. Do you live in Shippensburg currently?
Man: I'm living in a tent. On a field.
Molly: In Shippensburg?
Man: Yeh.
Molly: Do you have a job?
Man: Yeh. I work 20 hours a week.
Molly: Are you thinking about renting an apartment? I can put you on the waiting list for HUD, Section 8, and public housing if you can come in and fill out an application.
Man: Nah, I want to buy a house.
Molly: Do you have money saved up for a mortgage, or a down payment?
Man: No, I got no money.
Molly: Have you thought about staying in a shelter till you save up some money for a place to live?
Man: I don't believe in shelters. I got food poisoning there once. Not never going back.
Molly: Ok, I just wanted to offer the suggestion. Now, about buying a house, how is your credit situation looking? Do you have any credit issues, unpaid bills?
Man: I have a couple thousand in unpaid medical bills for when I had a stroke two years ago.
Molly: Ok, well, we offer a home buyers program that will help you figure all of this out.
Man: Maybe I'll just stay in my tent.
Its so hard to help some people, when their obstacles are so compounded like this. I can't get him a house till I fix his credit, which I can't do till his bills are paid, which won't happen till he gets a better job, which depends on reliable transportation, which he doesn't have. It's so circular sometimes.
Anyway, I'm leaving work early-ish today, which makes me happy. I've got a ton to do on my night off! I'm going to finish some homework for Stats, only three assignments left! I've got laundry to fold, silver shoes to buy, and a very nervous friend getting married in three days to reassure. I've also got to get to Giant to buy some food for the house...Chris' fridge is sadly bare. We could make a dinner of condiments, but that's about it. I'm thinking I'm going to make ham and cabbage tonight, actually. That will be delicious, and appropriate, as I'm wearing my "Everyone Loves an Irish Girl" shirt.
Hope you all are well.
~Molly
Anyway, I'm leaving work early-ish today, which makes me happy. I've got a ton to do on my night off! I'm going to finish some homework for Stats, only three assignments left! I've got laundry to fold, silver shoes to buy, and a very nervous friend getting married in three days to reassure. I've also got to get to Giant to buy some food for the house...Chris' fridge is sadly bare. We could make a dinner of condiments, but that's about it. I'm thinking I'm going to make ham and cabbage tonight, actually. That will be delicious, and appropriate, as I'm wearing my "Everyone Loves an Irish Girl" shirt.
Hope you all are well.
~Molly
Labels: Chris; string cheese, crisis day
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home