22 and a half!
Happy half-birthday to me,
Happy half-birthday to me,
Happy half-birthday dear me,
Happy half-birthday to me!
I am now officially 22 and a half! Wahoo! I am going home tonight to see Sarah Hasemeier and my mom, and she is making me cupcakes. Funfetti cupcakes to be exact...my favorite. I love cake. Especially the portable kind.
So I should briefly explain the reasoning behind my half-birthday being a big deal in my family. As a child, I would always feel left out in school because all the other children got to celebrate their birthdays with their friends in class. It was their special day, and their parents would bring in snacks, etc. Since my birthday is August 8th, it was always during the summer, and I never got to be the "birthday kid" in class. My mom came up with the half-birthday idea - and on Feburary 8th, she would talk to the teacher and I finally got my chance to be the "birthday kid". It was very cool.
The reason this "tradition" still perpetuates in my family is because my Grandfather's (to whom I am very close) birthday is Feburary 8th, today. Which makes his half-birthday August 8th! So we have always had a tradition of calling each other and wishing one happy birthday, and the other happy half-birthday. It's a lot of fun. :) Plus, its another reason to celebrate and be happy, and who doesn't need that?
Let's see what Wikipedia has to say on the topic:
Half-birthday
A half-birthday is a day six months before or after the real anniversary of a person's birth.
Most half-birthdays go unremarked. Perhaps the most common usage is by people whose birthday falls near Christmas, a holiday so widely celebrated that it can overwhelm private anniversaries. Young children sometimes celebrate half-birthdays if their real birthdays do not occur during the school year, so they can celebrate with friends and teachers at school.
A half-birthday is one of many unbirthdays, to use Lewis Carroll's term for any day that is not a person's real birthday.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half-birthday
Calculate YOUR half-birthday here!
http://peterjanes.ca/peterj/half-birthday.cgi
~Molly
Labels: cupcake, half-birthday, Sarah
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home